PDA

View Full Version : washer motor

keihbell
12-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Is it possible motor run very weak when heavy load, runs OK with empty load, if motor(3 phase) itself has a problem?
IOW, if every other things OK, motor runs 100% fine with empty drum, but motor runs very weak, little power so can't even rotate the drum with full of laundry if motor has a problem?

Howard
12-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Is it the motor, or perhaps the belt is slipping under high load. Have you put an amp meter on it to see what is going on as far as current draw?

DirkDark
12-15-2013, 10:05 PM
You have to check the obvious things first such as the belt, bearings, drain. I had a problem once that I thought was the motor, but turned out that someone put the wrong eprom in the timer circuit board. I do not think the problem you describe is the motor itself. You should also tell the make model and circumstances.

keihbell
12-16-2013, 07:20 AM
You have to check the obvious things first such as the belt, bearings, drain. I had a problem once that I thought was the motor, but turned out that someone put the wrong eprom in the timer circuit board. I do not think the problem you describe is the motor itself. You should also tell the make model and circumstances.

make: wascomat, gen5 185 ES
replaced with new belts,
replaced new relays:3 ea
circumstances: electric flows fine, amp fine, relays works fine, empty drum -> spins fine, but with full load, drum just swiggles, not even one full rotates, just little me move left and right.....same as the motor...

ywinston
12-16-2013, 08:40 AM
I sounds like your motor is trying to run on 2 of the 3 legs of the 3 phase current. Try to find out where the power is not present: where it comes into the machine, where it enters the spin contactor, where it exits the spin contactor, where it enters the motor, any connector along the way from the entering terminal block through the contactor to the motor (or an internal open inside the motor).Remember to always check 220 voltage across two terminals, not from one terminal to ground. L1 to L2, L1 to L3, L2 to L3.

Some systems have a "stinger leg", which has higher voltage than the other two. My system has all three legs the same, 110v.

canon
12-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Check the tension spring that pulls down on the motor. I have had them break or come off on end and had the machine do the same thing.

DirkDark
12-16-2013, 11:52 AM
make: wascomat, gen5 185 ES
replaced with new belts,
replaced new relays:3 ea
circumstances: electric flows fine, amp fine, relays works fine, empty drum -> spins fine, but with full load, drum just swiggles, not even one full rotates, just little me move left and right.....same as the motor...

Is this a machine you have had or is it new to you. I had a similar problem on a wascomat emerald series because it had the wrong eprom put in the motherboard. This caused the machine to go right from wash to spin. It was skipping the intermediate speed called "balance" which allowed the basket to build up speed as the basket drained. But this was a 245 ES which has a seperate extract motor. Are you tripping the breaker? I would verify that the Timer circuit board has not been "repaired." I finally figured this out by checking the eprom part number (printed on the chip). I just had to order the correct one from wasco for about 50 bucks. It could be a software issue.

Howard
12-16-2013, 12:23 PM
What readings did you get on amps on each phase and phase-to-phase voltage?

sundogusa
12-18-2013, 10:22 AM
I sounds like your motor is trying to run on 2 of the 3 legs of the 3 phase current. Try to find out where the power is not present: where it comes into the machine, where it enters the spin contactor, where it exits the spin contactor, where it enters the motor, any connector along the way from the entering terminal block through the contactor to the motor (or an internal open inside the motor).Remember to always check 220 voltage across two terminals, not from one terminal to ground. L1 to L2, L1 to L3, L2 to L3.

Some systems have a "stinger leg", which has higher voltage than the other two. My system has all three legs the same, 110v.

A 3 phase motor will run on 2 phases but not start on 2 phases. If one phase is missing the extra weight in the loaded drum will slow the motor to a stop.

Check your belts for slippage or even the possibility of to tight!

If you can, read the amperage on all three "hot" legs while the machine is spinning empty and again with a loaded drum.

Let us know what you find out.

keihbell
12-23-2013, 10:29 PM
A 3 phase motor will run on 2 phases but not start on 2 phases. If one phase is missing the extra weight in the loaded drum will slow the motor to a stop.

Check your belts for slippage or even the possibility of to tight!

If you can, read the amperage on all three "hot" legs while the machine is spinning empty and again with a loaded drum.

Let us know what you find out.

Update:

I measured all voltages on each contact points on three relay switches and looks all good. I pushed manually the switch with pencil (rubber side) and motor runs good, normal speed and hi-speed, with laundry and without laundry, all voltages shows ok.
But, with full of laundry in the drum, motor doesn't have enough power to turn it. I checked belts and spring which holds belts,all tensions are okay.
I looked at the square shape plastic connector located close to motor, it also looks good, no burning or damages...
Therefore, I suspect the problem is either Motor itself or wiring harness.

My question to you is that could it be possible if motor itself has a problem does it behave like that?

Howard
12-23-2013, 11:09 PM
You need to put a clamp-on amp meter on the lines and measure the current draw on each leg while it is running. The voltage will not tell you story, you need to find out how much current each leg is pulling.

sundogusa
12-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Update:

I measured all voltages on each contact points on three relay switches and looks all good. I pushed manually the switch with pencil (rubber side) and motor runs good, normal speed and hi-speed, with laundry and without laundry, all voltages shows ok.
But, with full of laundry in the drum, motor doesn't have enough power to turn it. I checked belts and spring which holds belts,all tensions are okay.
I looked at the square shape plastic connector located close to motor, it also looks good, no burning or damages...
Therefore, I suspect the problem is either Motor itself or wiring harness.

My question to you is that could it be possible if motor itself has a problem does it behave like that?

I could guess and not make any headway. Google "3 phase motor troubleshooting" There are many links.
I think your motor may have a problem, but without actually looking at the circuit and doing tests I can't say for sure.
Try the google thing and let us know.
Thanks!

DirkDark
12-24-2013, 02:07 PM
You need to put a clamp-on amp meter on the lines and measure the current draw on each leg while it is running. The voltage will not tell you story, you need to find out how much current each leg is pulling.

You can get a cheap clamp meter at Harbor Freight. You need to measure AMPs right around the 3 wires where they go into the motor.

Also, you never told us if your motor is causing the circuit breaker to trip.

Stick with it.

keihbell
12-24-2013, 06:34 PM
You can get a cheap clamp meter at Harbor Freight. You need to measure AMPs right around the 3 wires where they go into the motor.

Also, you never told us if your motor is causing the circuit breaker to trip.

Stick with it.

yes, motor has not caused the circuit breaker to trip.

Howard
12-24-2013, 08:31 PM
I hate to beat a dead horse here, but until you take amperage readings you really don't know what is going on.

Adamski
12-25-2013, 05:32 AM
I hate to beat a dead horse here, but until you take amperage readings you really don't know what is going on.

Howard,

I love to beat a dead horse. Everytime I ride by that closed up Express laundromat (DEATH OF A LAUNDROMAT 10-1-2011), I say to myself, "Dead horse ... should never have built there in the first place."

canon
12-25-2013, 12:07 PM
In post #10, you say motor runs good with a load by pushing relay down. Does it run in both directions?(both low speed relays one at a time) I think you can rule out the motor because it runs when you push the relay. The problem seems to be at the relay.

keihbell
12-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Tested again today...

Here is update;

With empty or small amount of laundry, no problem.

With a lot in the drum, motor doesn't have power to move it: and tested it by manually pushing the relay switches one by one and same not rotates...and then it caused fuse out when continuing pushing the switch eventually.

Howard
12-27-2013, 04:02 PM
ARG!!! I want to pull out what little hair I have left. Take the darn amp readings and report back or just go away. What do you want to be told? Do you want us to tell you the motor is bad? OK, fine "the motor is bad" Do you feel better now? I have no idea if it is really bad, if something is slipping or anything else until you take the amp readings and tell us what the motor itself is doing.

canon
12-27-2013, 05:15 PM
I agree with Howard. You are not capable of testing this the right way. This machine has been down two weeks now. Call a tech and watch what he does. it will help you the next time.