PDA

View Full Version : 80 Lb Speed Queen Front Loader

epic02
03-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Today, I just purchased an 80 LB front loader.* I've been needing a larger machine for a long time and finally took the plunge. Now that the mat is paid off I could make some improvements.* I have families that come in with lots of cloths. And I can see that a larger machine will be of good use. Also some of the competitors have 80 pounders.* I was going to get two but settled for just the one until I see how it works out.* For weeks Ive been switching back and forth in my head whether to go with 60 Pounders instead, but if I was to do that I would of had to put in more machines and take out good working older 45 pound Speed Queens.* I hope it works out great for me where I have to put in the 2nd one. Can some of you who have them tell me the turns your getting on them?

Kenny

Adamski
03-30-2008, 07:28 AM
Kenny,

I expect you'll be happy with your new 80 lb washer. I hope you ordered it with the optional mounting bolt assembly as that makes the installation much easier. Just be sure to install it EXACTLY as Speed Queen recommends. You'll get good TPD's so don't be concerned about that. If you install a second 80 lb washer, it should be near the first one.

Larry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Steven04
03-30-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm thinking about the 80s also, but I want to get some 50-lb dryers first. Let us know how it goes... How much are you going to vend it for?

I heard you have to grease the bearings annually as preventative maintenance, so you might need easy access to the rear of the machine.

Adamski
03-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Steven,

If the new Speed Queen 80 lb washer is like my 5 year old Huebsch 80 lb washers, the grease fittings are accessed through the TOP of the washer. On my installation, those 2 fittings ended up directly under a wall so I moved them to the REAR of the washers. Now I can access them without removing the top or any panels. However, the top must be removed for the semi-annual air filter cleaning anyway so one would not move the fittings as long as they are accessible where they are. One fitting greases the main (front) bearing and the other greases the water seals. The rear bearing gets no grease.

By the way, I have no dryers larger than 35 lb capacity. My 80's vend for $9.00.

Duane
03-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Steven,

If you are looking at 50lb dryers and 80lb washers then get a price for a 75lb dryer. I just ordered on for a donation to the local Humane society and the difference of a 75 over a 50 was only $300.

epic02
03-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks Larry, I'll look into the mounting bolt assembly. I'm going to have someone install it for me professionally.* If I purchased two* I would not be able to put them side by side One would go at each end of my 35 pounders. I already have to remove one stack dryer to put this in.** I only have 35 Lb stacks* I'm not to concerned about the larger ones.* Most people will just even the cloths throughout the dryers.* How often dose some one have one item that's not going to fit in the dryer.* Steven the price IM looking at is $7.50* to* $8.00 I have to check what the average prices are in my area and since IM only putting one in I might be on the higher side.
Kenny

Steven04
03-30-2008, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the difference of a 75 over a 50 was only $300

[/ QUOTE ]

oh really, I'll look into it, 75-lb dryers are huge.

[ QUOTE ]
IM looking at is $7.50 to $8.00

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/thumbsup.gif

SonomaJoe
03-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Kenny just took the same plunge. I bought an 80 washer & an 80 lb dryer for each store (2). If things go well I'll buy a matching pair for each store next year. They will be professionally installed. I can do soft mount front loaders, but not these behemoths.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

epic02
03-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Soft mounts is whole another story when it comes to installation.
Kenny

Adamski
03-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Kenny,

I rehabbed my entire large washer department in 2002. I removed 12 Milnors (which eat up a lot of floor space) and installed two 80 lb and nine 40 lb Huebsch washers in that space which is recessed into a wall like the dryers are. The nice thing about replacing an entire bank of washers is you have an opportunity to do some rearranging too.

I think you'll find that the 80 lb washers are used in very much the same way as 40 lb washers. That is, 98% of the time people load them up with normal laundry. Nothing special. Perhaps the largest single item washed in my 80 lb washers was a sailboat sail which it handled just fine.

The bolt mounting assembly that I mentioned earlier is a large steel rebar reinforcing framework with the 6 machine mounting bolts welded to the rebar. All you have to do is square up the rebar frame within the wet concrete with the 6 bolts protruding from the surface. So simple even a Caveman could do it. It probably costs $400 or so today.

Jefflange
03-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Larry,
How many bearing jobs have you done on those 2002 machines? Have you done a 80lb bearing job yet?

Adamski
03-31-2008, 05:50 PM
Jeff,

We've done 3 bearing jobs on the 9 forty pound washers (the ones that get used the most) and 0 on the 2 eighty pound washers.

If the water seals lasted longer ... the bearings would certainly last longer too. All bearing failures were due to leaky water seals. I rebuild the washer at the first sign of bearing failure. I don't wait until it sounds really loud. That way, it's usually not necessary to replace the basket/shaft assembly.

epic02
03-31-2008, 06:56 PM
I do the same thing Larry, but I also replace the shaft with a new hardened steel bearing sleeve /bushing, Cost about $50.00 for that part. The one that comes from the manufacture is not as durable.
Kenny

Harper
03-31-2008, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you install a second 80 lb washer, it should be near the first one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point!!

I've also heard that adding just one would be less productive than two side by side... What's your take on this Larry?

Adamski
03-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Harper,

Back when I bought my 40 and 80 lb washers, I talked to Huebsch president of North American sales. I told him I was going to order an 80 lb washer. His reply was: "If you're buying one, you better leave space for another one because you'll be ordering a second before long." So I just went ahead and ordered two.

I have to keep the vend price at $9.00 or the TPD's would get too high to manage comfortably.

Adamski
03-31-2008, 08:07 PM
Kenny,

I've been looking for a vendor who can supply the sleeve that goes over the shaft for the seals to ride on. The factory sleeve is about 1/2 inch thick and it gets pitted over time. Have you found a supplier for this SEAL sleeve for the Huebsch/Speed Queen 40 lb washer?

Perhaps you were referring to the shaft sleeve that E Z Way sells in kit form. That sleeve fits on the shaft under the front bearing. That kit would be useful if the washer is allowed to operate for a long period of time with a bad front bearing which can cause the shaft to become worn out under the bearing. I've never had that sort of problem yet.

Please clarify exactly where the sleeve you are buying locates on the shaft.

Harper
03-31-2008, 08:14 PM
Larry,

Was that because the one by itself would be getting used so much that you would need another or did he recommend two because single standalones don't do very well? Also, I'm all for big machines, but how big is too big? I have plenty of 40's and two 50's. The 50's do very well, so would it be a waste of time investing in a few 60's or go for the 80's? Another ? What would a decent price be for an 80?

Adamski
03-31-2008, 09:19 PM
Harper,

I assumed he meant the one would be over-used and I would need another. It is true that single (orphan) washers can look like misfits in the customer's eyes.

I don't know how big your store is. If it's maybe 2500 to 3500 sf and you now have two 50 lb washers plus some 40 lb washers; I wouldn't add any 60 lb washers. Instead, if I wanted to gain capacity in my large washer dept, I'd put in one or two 80 lb washers.

The current washer capacity of my 3,700 sf store is 2,260 lbs per hour. The current dryer capacity of my store is 2,110 lbs per hour (assuming a 30 minute dry cycle). The reason this got out of balance in favor of the washers is because the new Huebsch 20 and 30 lb washers that I am about to put into service have a very short 18 minute cycle. Therefore, I must calculate 3 turns per hour instead of the usual 2 turns for these 13 new washers. (Note to All: it is always helpful to provide a description of your current store size and capacity when asking for advice about adding more equipment.)

I bought my 80's wholesale 5 years ago so I don't have a clue what they might cost today. Sorry.

Harper
03-31-2008, 10:21 PM
Larry,

I have 2700 sq. ft. with 14 tops, 5-triples, 7-40's and 2-50's. I have 13-30 lb. stacks and 1-45 lb. stack.

epic02
03-31-2008, 11:02 PM
Larry, I believe this is the one your looking for It goes on the tub shaft all the way down closest to the barrel itself. The original one is a shinny steel that needs to be removed with a blow torch. This one is 2 inches long and 1/4 thick. Once it goes on the guys told me it's almost impossible to remove. And should never get pitted which I'll know in time if I ever have to do a bearing job on the same machine. Here's the part # F200215300 This is for a 35 LB machine the tub shaft may be the same diameter as the 40 lb. Here's a pic
Kenny
http://aycu34.webshots.com/image/49713/2004640536637011882_rs.jpg (http://web page

Harper
03-31-2008, 11:30 PM
epic02,

I did a bearing job on one of my SQ 40's a few weeks ago. That piece that you're holding there had a little skuff on it, but didn't appear to be too bad. I did not replace it. What will this do or should I be worried?

epic02
04-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Harper,
Is it the original manufactured one probably the shiny steel?
Because this one is hardened steel black in color cost about $60.00
If it has grooves in it I guess water can get into the housing much easier causing bearing failure or cause more wear on the bearings Im not 100% sure that's just what I was told.
I wouldn't worry much only time will tell. The bearings I replaced with this over 5 years ago are still holding strong also when I do this job I replace the entire bearing housing and have the tub shaft redone.

Kenny
http://aycu22.webshots.com/image/49381/2003611857769753645_rs.jpg (http://web page

Not me, I took the pic

Jefflange
04-01-2008, 12:55 AM
I have changed plenty of those black collars, they wear out just like the stainless ones. All new machines come with these black oxide ones, they are a pain in the ass to remove. I would try and find a aftermarket stainless collar and use that. I change the collar anytime I do the bearing job since it is cheap and I already have the machine apart.
These machines have the dumbest tub/bearing design.

SuperWashnDry
04-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Getting 3.61 turns per day on my 2 80-lb. Huebsch machines in my 3rd month.

epic02
04-01-2008, 12:35 PM
super,
What do you charge for your 80's?

Adamski
04-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Harper,

It looks like you have a pretty good mix of washers right now. How many tpd's are your toploaders doing? If their tpd's are low, perhaps you could start planning for a reduction in toploaders while adding 1 or 2 eighty pound washers. I'm currently reducing my toploaders from 19 to 10 due to low tpd's.

Adamski
04-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Kenny,

Thanks for the picture of your black seal collar. The original seal collars on my 40 lb washers are also black in color. They do get pitted somewhat.

I've not tried removing one of these collars because I don't have any replacements. (I do stock an entire shaft/basket assy however.) I thought the easiest way to remove the seal collar might be to make 2 cuts parallel to the shaft - one on one side and one on the opposite side. These would effectively split the collar into 2 halves. I was thinking that a Dremel tool might work to make the cuts.

So far, I've just touched up the collars with a file to smooth the rough spots. I've been installing E Z Way bearings and seals into an extra housing and I keep that on hand as a spare assy. If I run into a really bad seal collar, I have that spare basket/shaft assy that I can use but it sure would be a lot cheaper if the seal collar can be replaced without too much fuss.

Jefflange
04-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Most of the time the shaft is worn and the collar is bad. You can remove the collar if you apply heat with a acetlyn torch.

Am I the only one that thinks this a bad design? If you buy a drum it cost mucho dinero.

galaga
04-01-2008, 05:46 PM
I don't have any SQ front load washers,the poor bearing design is one of reason.

Adamski
04-01-2008, 06:09 PM
galaga,

In my experience, there is nothing wrong with the main bearing design. The problem is the main seals wear out and leak water into the front main bearing causing it to fail. The seals could be better designed. If the seals didn't fail I'm sure the main bearings would last many years.

So the seals are the washer's Achille's heal but there are other things that I like about the washers. I like the available cycles, the quality of materials used in the construction (except the seals), the cycle programability, the single extract per cycle, the very short (18 minute total run time) NORMAL cycle on my new A Micro washers ... but they're too new to make any definitive judgements just yet and last but not least - the customer acceptance of these very capable washers.

Jefflange
04-01-2008, 06:35 PM
I think the seals fail because the shaft is not a press fit. Since it is not a press fit the shaft wears and creates movement, which causes the seals to leak. I have seen motors get damaged because a seal fails and water leaks out thru the weep hole onto the motor. Wascomat has shield over the motor to prevent this.
This bearing/seal design has been the same since 1986 when unimac came out with this machine. The only difference i see is changing the collar to a black oxide instead of stainless and I'm sure it was to just save some money.

chad
04-01-2008, 06:38 PM
i have 2 80lbs and i love em. if i can add a few more it would help... we get at least 4 turns a day at @ 7.50... As far as i know everyone around me charges $5.50 to 6.50 for there 80lbs.

Harper
04-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Larry,

That's exactly what I was thinking... start dwindling down my top loaders. I can't stay competetive with them anyway with the guy down the street charging a $1 and he only has one front loader. All my tops are less than 6 years old, but seem to be springing leaks out the bottom of the tubs left and right. I'm not sure what my tpd's are on them, but I do know that my front loads are much more popular.

What are your TPD's on your 80's?

Harper
04-01-2008, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I like the available cycles, the quality of materials used in the construction (except the seals), the cycle programability, the single extract per cycle, the very short (18 minute total run time) NORMAL cycle on my new A Micro washers ... but they're too new to make any definitive judgements just yet and last but not least - the customer acceptance of these very capable washers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry,

I have Net Master programability on all my SQ washers and dryers. Do you have this? How do you have your front loaders programmed to achieve an 18 min total run time? My normal wash starts at 22 mins, but total run time is longer than that. I don't think it takes into account for the fills. Is there something that I could eliminate without affecting the quality of the wash too much?

Adamski
04-01-2008, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you have your front loaders programmed to achieve an 18 min total run time? My normal wash starts at 22 mins, but total run time is longer than that.Is there something that I could eliminate without affecting the quality of the wash too much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Harper,

First of all, my frontloaders are all Huebsch now. I am still installing 13 new Huebsch 20 and 30 lb frontloaders that have the A Micro controller on them. These are factory-programmed with 6 cycles. I know that on my new 20 lb washers the Normal cycles are 18 minute cycles including fill. At this point, I haven't had time to check out what the customer gets during that fast 18 minute cycle. Does she get 2 rinses ... 3 rinses ... or what? I do know that customers have been using my new 20 lb washers for a few days now and I've not had a single complaint about them so far.

In addition to the 6 cycles, the customer can choose to add an additional wash or an additional rinse. I charge $1.00 more when either "cycle modifier" button is used. If a customer presses the "extra wash" button she will see the displayed price increase by a dollar. If she then decides that she doesn't want to spend the additional dollar, she simply presses the "extra wash" button again and that option goes away and the displayed price reverts back to the basic price.

In addition to the "cycle modifier" pricing, the A Micro can accomodate individual cycle pricing and special event pricing so it is a VERY versatile controller.

You can even program the A Micro to display the remaining cycle time including fill time or excluding fill time. Not fully understanding this option at first, I accidentally programmed one to exclude fill time and the Normal cycle displayed only 13 minutes at the start. It took me about 3 minutes to understand my error and reprogram to display cycle time including fills.

So far, I've seen zero customer confusion over the operation of the A Micro. But it's early yet so let's see what happens in the next few weeks.

My 5 year old Huebsch 40 and 80 lb washers have the B Micro. The A Micro wasn't available back then. The B Micro has 8 factory programmed cycles which vary in length from 18 total minutes for a Quick Warm to 26 total minutes for a Heavy Duty Hot cycle. A Normal Hot cycle on these washers is 23 minutes. The B Micro has no "cycle modifier" buttons. Also, the B Micro is not capable of individual cycle pricing or special event pricing.

Both the A and B Micros are available on all Huebsch hardmount frontloaders being sold today. The A Micro costs about $50 more than the B Micro.

Whether you can eliminate something to speed up the cycles on your washers depends on how old your washers are and what kind of controller they have. If your NetMaster controllers are anything like the B Micro or A Micro; you should be able to modify any cycle any way you want including reducing tumble times in each bath, reducing or raising water levels in each bath, eliminating baths or extracts, etc. All my Huebsch washers have cycles that are completely modifiable with programming changes.

Adamski
04-01-2008, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't stay competetive with them anyway with the guy down the street charging a $1 and he only has one front loader. All my tops are less than 6 years old, but seem to be springing leaks out the bottom of the tubs left and right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harper,

Yeh, I have the same problem ... a large competitor with tons of toploaders just giving them away to keep his tpd's up. If he wants the toploader business at $1.25/turn, he can have it. I'm not giving my services away. Instead, I cut the number of toploaders I have to make room for 8 thirty pound frontloaders that I didn't have. We'll be starting those up tomorrow ... at $4.00/turn.

Harper
04-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Larry,

Do you have any signage pointing out your additional $1 cycles? If so, what verbage do you use to make it understandable to a typical customer?

SuperWashnDry
04-02-2008, 11:00 AM
$7.50, like Chad.

Adamski
04-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Harper,

I've not spent any time developing signage to explain the cycle modifiers yet. However, I have instructed my attendants on how the cycle modifiers can be activated or deactivated so they can help the customers become familiar with this new equipment.

I removed my 19 Maytag toploaders over 2 weeks ago when this project began. We reinstalled 10 Maytags into their new location today. At the same time, I raised the vend price from $2.25 to $2.50 on these washers. Since these washers were unavailable for the past 2 weeks, my hope is that most of my topload customers won't recall the old price ... but maybe they will.