PDA

View Full Version : Wascomat 140g vs. Dexter 200g

thinkclean
04-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Does anyone have real world experience in comparing Dexter's line of express machines to Wascomat's line of SU machines? Specs indicate that Dexter can extract water at 200g vs. Wascomat's 140g extraction. I've read online that the difference isn't as noticeable in real world usage from a customers pov. This is the assumption that both machines produce a noticeable improvement from the standard 90-100g extraction capabilities offered by numerous manufacturers.

Howard
04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Why do you want that improvement? I am serious about that. Unless you need to do this to compete you will be paying extra money for washers that reduce your dryer income. Great deal for the distributor, maybe not such a great deal for the owner.

thinkclean
04-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Itís a fair point to bring up. Iím evaluating a rehab opportunity in Northern NJ. The store has potential if not for the maintenance intensive 15-20yr washers turning customers away. The area is a cluster of towns densely populated (16 sq miles) with its share of competition commensurate with the demographics. Three comps are big with newer equipment and two of them are open 24 hours. Iíve noticed that the area has not embraced high extraction machines probably for the same question you posted. Iím looking at the possibility of targeting customers who want to spend less time by differentiating a store with high extraction machines to cut dry time. I would also differentiate the capacity mix to skew bigger i.e. 25/40/55 to further enhance the value proposition. Energy isnít getting any cheaper and dryers arenít drying any better so rhetorically I wonder is it insane to envision by 2019 dryers will be priced at 5mins a quarter?

Getting back on topic does anyone have experience with Dexter Express outperforming Wascomat SU line of machines?

TIA!

Howard
04-08-2009, 01:27 PM
You concept is a good one, but the question is will you be able to get customers to pay you a premium for the wash to make up for what revenue you may loose due to shorter dry times. If the net result is you save the customers time but cost yourself money it is a great deal for the customer but maybe not the best value proposition for you the owner.

BCW
04-08-2009, 01:32 PM
thinkclean, dryers being priced at 5min. per quarter by 2019? I'm a little surprised at that statement is all. I'm in no way belittling you, or provoking you. I have been at that price for a little over a year now. Down from 6min per quarter. I agree with Howard. Don't go with high extract express machines. They are way to expensive and your dryer revenue will suffer. I would go with Dexter, absolutly.

Tom

thinkclean
04-08-2009, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You concept is a good one, but the question is will you be able to get customers to pay you a premium for the wash to make up for what revenue you may loose due to shorter dry times. If the net result is you save the customers time but cost yourself money it is a great deal for the customer but maybe not the best value proposition for you the owner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you and I'm weighing the pros and cons. Perhaps increasing the number of customers is a different way of thinking than maximizing income per customer. I would not be thinking this way if the comps in the area do not have newer equipment.

thinkclean
04-08-2009, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thinkclean, dryers being priced at 5min. per quarter by 2019? I'm a little surprised at that statement is all. I'm in no way belittling you, or provoking you. I have been at that price for a little over a year now. Down from 6min per quarter. I agree with Howard. Don't go with high extract express machines. They are way to expensive and your dryer revenue will suffer. I would go with Dexter, absolutly.

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Tom. I think it's great that you are a price leader and I would like to be too. Out here the average is 8 mins and outliers are 7 and 10 mins. Which begs the old question what is that I offer that a newer mat down three blocks doesn't offer for less money?

Self_Suds_WV
04-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Green is in - use the new machines to sell your customers on the fact that they are not only saving money and time (reduced dry time) but the planet (less natural gas used to dry their clothes). Many studies have shown customers are willing to pay a premium for GREEN products/services.

Jefflange
04-08-2009, 04:16 PM
The Green my Ghetto customers care about are the Benjamins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Howard
04-08-2009, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Green is in - use the new machines to sell your customers on the fact that they are not only saving money and time (reduced dry time) but the planet (less natural gas used to dry their clothes). Many studies have shown customers are willing to pay a premium for GREEN products/services.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not for most laundry customers, they could give a rats rear end about green -- at least in my neck of the woods, and me think you mean Verde /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PaulP
04-08-2009, 09:19 PM
I have put in Four 350 G Maytag 35#'s, and Two 350 Continental 40#'s in the last year.

The maytag's are in a store with a bunch of new large maytag equipment, and I only vended for 25c more. I didn't promote high spin, let the customers figure out. Those who use them love them. 40's next to them still have slightly higher tpd.

The new 40# Continetal's I priced at $5.50, up from $3.65 for 35# Wasco's that I replaced. THEY ARE DOING GREAT! TPD is 1.5 higher, even at $5.50 vend. Regular wash is 19 minutes, and appears to wash quite well. My team likes them on the WDF. And the high spin cuts dry time.

One other really compelling reason to consider High-Speed Extract is that it effectively MAKES YOUR STORE LARGER. You can get more TPD out of a high-speed extract store than a regular extract, and the cost is the 15% premium for washer cost. (In addition, they improve customer experience, in my humble opinion. So if you have competition, or want to keep it away, which is one of my goals, the high spin is a valuable option. I'm probably only going to buy high-spin in the future.)

The continental 40# is very impressive. They are very quiet, and in 4 months have had ZERO issues. The maytags are good, but still have door handle issues and a couple of other things. And they are nosier, but not bad.

Hope this adds to the discussion.

paul

mmurra
04-08-2009, 10:43 PM
The only green that counts is what ends up in the bank after expenses! I overhauled my 40 year old store with new Dexter Express washers and dryers. I raised prices (especially on dryers), and dramatically lowered my utilities. My volume is up. My customers are happy. My expenses are down. Therefore, I am happy! I would not consider any other choice in the future. Is there anyone out there who has gone to high extract exclusively and regretted it?

neal
04-10-2009, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have real world experience in comparing Dexter's line of express machines to Wascomat's line of SU machines? Specs indicate that Dexter can extract water at 200g vs. Wascomat's 140g extraction. I've read online that the difference isn't as noticeable in real world usage from a customers pov. This is the assumption that both machines produce a noticeable improvement from the standard 90-100g extraction capabilities offered by numerous manufacturers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would buy Dexter washers over Wascomats everytime. There just better built machines and better support too.

Howard
04-10-2009, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would buy Dexter washers over Wascomats everytime. There just better built machines and better support too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you be kind enough to explain why you believe the above to be true? I have found the exact oposite to be true. My support from Dexter has been almost non-existant, whereas Wascomat will support every machine they have ever made no matter if you are the first or 10th owner of it, no matter if it is new or 40 years old. All you have to do is call Wascomat with a question and they will walk you through diagnosis of a problem and give you the part number you need if a part is needed. You can't get much better support than that.

merlin3
04-10-2009, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you be kind enough to explain why you believe the above to be true? I have found the exact oposite to be true. My support from Dexter has been almost non-existant, whereas Wascomat will support every machine they have ever made no matter if you are the first or 10th owner of it, no matter if it is new or 40 years old. All you have to do is call Wascomat with a question and they will walk you through diagnosis of a problem and give you the part number you need if a part is needed. You can't get much better support than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Howard,

I've got to stand up for Dexter here. Has your support from Dexter itself lacked or is it your distributor?

I'm sure you have your reasons, but I want to relay mine so people get the full spectrum.

I cannot say enough good about the support from Dexter and my distributor.

Dexter has literally bent over backwards and stood on their head for me. (My distributor has too for that matter). Barring a nuclear meltdown between myself and either of the former two entities, they have earned a lifelong customer. I just filled my second mat with a truckload of their equipment.

I have no trouble talking to anyone at Dexer if my distributor cannot answer a question. When needed I can usually pick up the phone and get directly to the Vice President of their technical/engineering department.

I literally think I could take a six month vacation and come back and there would not be a single Dexter broken.

So, to the original poster, without a doubt I would choose Dexter over Wasco's. (And full disclosure, I do have 12 Wasco's in my store)

thinkclean
04-10-2009, 12:58 PM
I appreciate the brand loyalty displayed here. Without generalizing too much is it safe to say less than 10% of the owners out there have hard mounted high extraction Dexters/Wascos? I'll add a poll if others don't feel like posting but please vote instead.

Adamski
04-10-2009, 04:05 PM
thinkclean,

I guess by "high extraction" you mean anything 140g or more.

Larry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jefflange
04-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Howard,
When did you buy Dexter washers? When I saw your store it had Wasco Gen4 and Gen5 washers, with ADC236 Stacks. I prefer wasco washers over Dexter, but I have never had a problem getting tech support from Dexter Factory

thinkclean
04-10-2009, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thinkclean,

I guess by "high extraction" you mean anything 140g or more.

Larry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

most CERTAINLY!

Howard
04-10-2009, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Howard,
When did you buy Dexter washers? When I saw your store it had Wasco Gen4 and Gen5 washers, with ADC236 Stacks. I prefer wasco washers over Dexter, but I have never had a problem getting tech support from Dexter Factory

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any Dexter washers, but I do have a Dexter Easycard system.

neal
04-11-2009, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Howard,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I ave had 3 full stores of Dexter Equipment washers and dryers and 1 full store of Wascomats. When I have any issues the Dexter company always steps up to the plate and takes care of my issues. When I bought the Wascomat store we had issues with the dryers and they did nothing !! It was not the local dist. It was the company that had to take care of me because of the issues we had with the dryers. He told me he would come see me next time he was in town 5 weeks later he showed up. By then we had all new Dexter 50# stacks and the Wascomats were in Mexico. My store has Gen 6 washers I have heard the older washers were better then these.

neal
04-11-2009, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Howard,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you always said the card system was so great. What kind of issues do you have with it? Who do you talk to at Dexter that wont help you out? I have always found the help I need at the dist level and the company.

Jefflange
04-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Neal,
What issues do you have with your Gen6 washers? I know the dryers had lots of problems.

Howard
04-11-2009, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Howard,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you always said the card system was so great. What kind of issues do you have with it? Who do you talk to at Dexter that wont help you out? I have always found the help I need at the dist level and the company.

[/ QUOTE ]

The card system is great, but I never got any support from the distributor. All suport was at the corporate level, and only from one senior person there. He is good, but if he is not around you are as they say S.O.L.

vermonter1
04-11-2009, 01:39 PM
thinkclean
i have wascomats with compass control. i opened last july 1st. i had to go thru the same evaluation you are going thru. it came down to dexter vs wascomat for me. i chose the wascomat and am extremely pleased. i have talked to the factory once and they were very helpful. part of my decision was who i felt the better "local"distributor was , wascomt. i don't believe your customers will be able to detect the difference between 140g vs 200g. in my opinion the wascomt is a slightly better "engineered" machine. also ,check out the washer vendor survey done on the site. wascomat is #1 , dexter#2. good luck with your decision. oops , i also went with huebsch dryers. i saw another test on this site that showed dexter dryers burn more propane than some of the others. i only have propane available , no natural gas.

thinkclean
04-11-2009, 03:46 PM
thanks please check your Private Message box

[ QUOTE ]
thinkclean
i have wascomats with compass control. i opened last july 1st. i had to go thru the same evaluation you are going thru. it came down to dexter vs wascomat for me. i chose the wascomat and am extremely pleased. i have talked to the factory once and they were very helpful. part of my decision was who i felt the better "local"distributor was , wascomt. i don't believe your customers will be able to detect the difference between 140g vs 200g. in my opinion the wascomt is a slightly better "engineered" machine. also ,check out the washer vendor survey done on the site. wascomat is #1 , dexter#2. good luck with your decision. oops , i also went with huebsch dryers. i saw another test on this site that showed dexter dryers burn more propane than some of the others. i only have propane available , no natural gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

neal
04-12-2009, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Neal,
What issues do you have with your Gen6 washers? I know the dryers had lots of problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once we got everything working now just minor stuff but it seems that there is always a few machines down with different things wrong we only have 42 frontload washers . Where do you find good prices on wascomat parts and a company that does not backorder stuff all the time? I even have backorders from the wascomat website partshouse.

thinkclean
04-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm told by Garden State Laundry Systems that Wascomat will introduce their 200g washers in June. I think this about answers the question in my original post.