PDA

View Full Version : Maytag or Speed Queen?

jpb
09-14-2009, 06:14 PM
I need to purchase some new toploaders.

Which toploader is better in your opinion? SQ or Maytag?

They can't be replaced by frontloaders because of where they are installed - no room.

BMWHD3060
09-14-2009, 06:39 PM
S/Q is my vote

DewRonInc
09-14-2009, 07:19 PM
If you buy maytags you are buying whirlpool. I have speedqueen, GE and whirlpool. The whirlpools last longer without repairs by a long shot....

Jefflange
09-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Maytag are Whirlpool and are made cheap.
http://www.foryourrentals.com/Whirlpool-Commercial-Coin-Washer-Model-CAM2742TQ-p-16136.html

You could buy these whirlpools and toss them out after 5 years.

Adamski
09-14-2009, 08:01 PM
I need to purchase some new toploaders. Which toploader is better in your opinion? SQ or Maytag? They can't be replaced by frontloaders because of where they are installed - no room.

jpb,

No room? A 20 lb Huebsch frontloader uses the same floor space as a Speed Queen or Maytag toploader. One 20 lb Huebsch frontloader (hardmount) can wash 2.5 times more clothes per hour compared to a toploader. This is due to the higher capacity and much shorter cycle. A 20 lb frontloader uses less utilities per turn than a toploader while commanding a higher vend price. You'd be surprised how quickly toploader-adicted customers shed their addiction when you price your toploaders up where they need to be priced. All of a sudden, the 20 lb hardmount frontloaders start to look pretty appealing.

AlanR
09-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Substitute 'Ford' and 'Chevy' for 'SQ' and 'Maytag' and you have the same question. There are pluses and minuses for each. The answer lies in your personal preference.

bodman
09-15-2009, 07:43 AM
continental makes a 20 front load with high extract.

jpb
09-17-2009, 07:36 PM
jpb,

No room? A 20 lb Huebsch frontloader uses the same floor space as a Speed Queen or Maytag toploader. One 20 lb Huebsch frontloader (hardmount) can wash 2.5 times more clothes per hour compared to a toploader. This is due to the higher capacity and much shorter cycle. A 20 lb frontloader uses less utilities per turn than a toploader while commanding a higher vend price. You'd be surprised how quickly toploader-adicted customers shed their addiction when you price your toploaders up where they need to be priced. All of a sudden, the 20 lb hardmount frontloaders start to look pretty appealing.

The problem is that the toploaders back up to an exterior wall. If I installed hardmounts I would have to unbolt them from their base and pull them out if I needed to get behind them for service.

Adamski
09-17-2009, 07:50 PM
jpb,

I don't know how many toploaders you plan to put along that wall but even they will need a supply bulkhead for the plumbing, wiring, etc. Is there a possibility of installing 2 frontloaders back to back with a short service/supply bulkhead in between. In this case, a side of each of the 2 frontloaders would be against the outside wall. The two frontloaders would roughly equal 5 toploaders in capacity.

zoomnbyu
10-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Maytag are Whirlpool and are made cheap.
http://www.foryourrentals.com/Whirlpool-Commercial-Coin-Washer-Model-CAM2742TQ-p-16136.html

You could buy these whirlpools and toss them out after 5 years.

Maytags are completely different than Whirlpool. Whirlpool machines are still belt driven versus direct drive for Maytag. Maytag have steel tripod base, and upgraded materials in the tranny, seals, bearings, and motors. Also, more options on the Maytag computer. That's like saying a Cadillac STS and Chevy Cobalt are the same. Go take a look at a new Maytag top and you'll be impressed.

Bluestreak
10-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Maytags are completely different than Whirlpool. Whirlpool machines are still belt driven versus direct drive for Maytag. Maytag have steel tripod base, and upgraded materials in the tranny, seals, bearings, and motors. Also, more options on the Maytag computer. That's like saying a Cadillac STS and Chevy Cobalt are the same. Go take a look at a new Maytag top and you'll be impressed.

To my knowledge, Whirlpool has not made a belt-driven top loading washing machine in about 20 years. Do you mean Speed queen are belt driven?

I'm pretty sure 2009 production Maytag and Whirlpool tops are exactly the same under the skin. The link that Jeff posted is a direct-drive washer. Put the model number into the Sears parts site and look at the drawings if you don't believe me.

zoomnbyu
10-21-2009, 10:09 PM
To my knowledge, Whirlpool has not made a belt-driven top loading washing machine in about 20 years. Do you mean Speed queen are belt driven?

I'm pretty sure 2009 production Maytag and Whirlpool tops are exactly the same under the skin. The link that Jeff posted is a direct-drive washer. Put the model number into the Sears parts site and look at the drawings if you don't believe me.

Maytag has - Whirlpool doesnt

Commercial agitator
Heavier gauge tub support
Vespal Washer for t-bearing
Commercial transmission with synthetic oil, dual lip seal, and bonded glass fiber reinforced spin gear.

Not sure why I would compare Sears for Commercial Equipment. Maytag and Whirlpool might be the same for home but night and day for commercial.

hiddenviewmat
10-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Has anyone ever tried the small "commercial" front loaders (less than a double loader, but a bit bigger than a top loader) made by GE, Whirlpool, etc.?

Thanks,
Kori

Jefflange
10-22-2009, 09:31 AM
The New Maytags(whirlpools) are garbage. Whirlpool scrapped the best made topload when they took over Maytag. Talk to the repair guys at a Maytag distributor or any route operator and they will tell you the same. Take a piece of junk machine and call it heavyduty,tripple sealed,synetheic bonded, superglued, futuristic or whatever you want to call it and its now fancy junk.

SoooperDave
10-22-2009, 10:17 AM
I've heard bad things about both, but I have had much bad experience with the newer SQ tops.
In fact just in the last month I scrapped and sold all my newer (7 yrs and less) SQ toploaders and kept my 1992 SQ toploaders. All the seals/bearings went out on all 12 SQ tops I bought in 2002. I replaced them, but I've had many motors go out on these things as well where they can no longer spin out clothes adequately. I still have a 1984 SQ toploader that is going strong, only on it's 2nd seal.

But if I was forced to buy toploaders TODAY,
Even with no experience with them, I'd try whirlpool.
Which tells you what I think of todays SQ design.

laundrychris
10-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Exactly how much room do you have? Continental sells a 20lb softmount that you could easily remove for service. I believe electrolux also has a similar sized softmount on the way (not sure if its in production yet)

zoomnbyu
10-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Exactly how much room do you have? Continental sells a 20lb softmount that you could easily remove for service. I believe electrolux also has a similar sized softmount on the way (not sure if its in production yet)

No opinion yet on the Electolux although they're nice looking but I've made my annual quota simply by replacing those Continental machines with the MAH22. Our customers have hated them. Per those we replaced for the absolute worst on soap puking. Have never used one so FWIW....

zoomnbyu
10-22-2009, 05:40 PM
The New Maytags(whirlpools) are garbage. Whirlpool scrapped the best made topload when they took over Maytag. Talk to the repair guys at a Maytag distributor or any route operator and they will tell you the same. Take a piece of junk machine and call it heavyduty,tripple sealed,synetheic bonded, superglued, futuristic or whatever you want to call it and its now fancy junk.

As both of the above, and a prior owner of many of those great older Maytag's and SQ tops, the 2009 Maytag is above and beyond the old machines and I've no doubts on the durability. The four I just put in our new store will probably be running without repair 15+ yrs from now. Plus 30% Less water than the old ones.

Just like cars it's nice to be nostaligic but factually, at least starting this year, it doesn't fly.

Also, regarding the newer SQs just replaced bearings and trannies on 8 machines for a store owner that averages 2 -3 tpd. They were built 09/05. Just like Maytag they Alliance may have changed something since but I wouldn't buy any used SQ tops of that vintage.

laundrychris
10-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Hey Zoomnbyu, you had problems with the EH020 puking soap? Have you had other issues?
I'm a dealer in Canada, and while i havn't sold that many, the ones i've sold have been received very well by customers. I have them in 3 different mats. All 3 mats have other hard mount equipment (wascomat and Dexter), in addition to the new Continental's. The only call-outs i've had were because of A-plugged drain, B-incorrect install causing excessive vibration, and C-Canadian coin acceptors needed adjusting from factory setting.
A few hardcore hardmount customers will not touch them because thay have a lower water setting. On the other side though, mat owners tell me that people are lining up to use them due to the drastic reduction in dry times. I'm not trying to sell or push here. Please list the problems you've had on here or pm me, i'm very interested. BTW, all the mats are attended.

zoomnbyu
10-22-2009, 07:24 PM
I personally haven't had problems but haven't owned any or sold any. Feedback was from owners that we swapped out. One owner had one year old machines and another three year old and they basically just gave them to us.

Bluestreak
10-22-2009, 07:55 PM
As both of the above, and a prior owner of many of those great older Maytag's and SQ tops, the 2009 Maytag is above and beyond the old machines and I've no doubts on the durability. The four I just put in our new store will probably be running without repair 15+ yrs from now. Plus 30% Less water than the old ones.

Could you please post a model number to these new 2009 Maytags that you bought? I would like to see if they are the same design as Whirlpool.. Maybe they have come out with something new that I don't know about.

Thanks

Jefflange
10-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Zoom,
Do you work for a Maytag distributor? Are you not a new laundry owner also?

zoomnbyu
10-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Zoom,
Do you work for a Maytag distributor? Are you not a new laundry owner also?

I own 5 laundromats as well as sell/service Maytag, Whirlpool, and ADC.

zoomnbyu
10-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Maytag Top Model Number is MAT14PDAWW.

Jefflange
10-23-2009, 09:26 AM
I kind of figured you sold Maytag and were a new owner. Good Luck with your Maytags, but I will pass.

SoooperDave
10-23-2009, 11:56 AM
I dunno zoom,

How do you know the current year model is so good....doesn't it take time to determine that objectively ?
I remember my 2001 SQ tops were perfect for the first 2 years, then the seals went out, then after replacing the seals and bearings the motors windings melted together and weakened so they couldn't hardly spin.

You know if you fall off a 50 story building, you're still feeling fine when you pass the 34th story, but that doesn't mean you don't have a significant problem.

Bluestreak
10-23-2009, 06:23 PM
I actually looked that model up and the transmission is a different part number than the Whirlpool one. So maybe it really does have a reinforced spin gear and some other improved parts.

I'm not convinced that these washers are a complete POS. I do know that they are super easy to work on. I can put a transmission in one in less than twenty minutes. No way can you do that with a Speed Queen or old 2-belt Maytag.

SoooperDave
10-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Wow, 20 minutes to do a transmission.
No, it'd take me a couple hours to do an SQ transmission and get it back in the box.