PDA

View Full Version : Cost per pound and presentation

YoungJedi
08-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Wondering what everyone is charging per pound on W/F and what they are providing back to the customer for this price?

I'm charging $1.25 per pound with a 10 pound minimum order. I'll take smaller orders, but still charge the 10 pound cost.

For that amount, we provide:
-free pick up and delivery (most people don't use this but it provides a point of differentiation)
-shrink wrap all the clothes
-same day service if time permits

In terms of presentation, we are shrink wrapping everything as mentioned above and just putting the bundles neatly into white plastic bags from bagmart.

We've been looking for paper bags but can't find them at a good price. Any ideas where to get larger paper bags at a good price? If so, what site and what size are you using?

Jason

rjwarner
08-18-2010, 10:57 PM
We charge $1.09 per pound which is highest in my area....I have seen as low as 89 cents per pound. We charge a 12 pound minimum.

What kind of wrapper do you have? i may be looking to get one, but haven't a clue as to what brands, I shoule be looking at, or what features are needed.

Any direction on this would be great!

CanCanCase
08-19-2010, 12:49 AM
I just opened our WDF window 2 days ago. We're the only drop off (non dry cleaner) in 3 counties. I charge $1.50 per lb, 10 lb minimum. All service is shrink-wrapped (Reynolds foodservice wrap from the restaurant supply) and all orders are pre-paid and processed same-day. I don't store anything overnight, and so far, folks are receptive.... $450 in the first 3 days.

At this point, I just want it there as a service to differentiate me from the other guys (of course, not running a dump already does that!) I'm happy that my attendants now don't have time to read or quilt on my payroll... All WDF is done at slack hours whenthey would ordinarily just be sitting there doing nothing. Beats a partial layoff, IMO.

- Case

SonomaJoe
08-19-2010, 02:00 AM
We charge $1.50 per pound. Presently, we have a $15 minimum, that will be changing shortly to $20 or $25. 75% of the minimum orders are from tourist, & they are not price sensitive but time sensitive.

Flat rate pricing: a bag that hold about 3 loads of laundry. If individually purchased $55 (pick up & delivery included), 10% discount when prepaying for 4 or more

Everything is put in clear bags, although I have thought about shink rap
As for advertising: G O O G L E & referral marketing thru local chapter of BNI

brucehwalker
08-19-2010, 09:19 AM
We charge 1.09 next day, 1.19 same day, 1.39 VIP 2 1/2 hour, 1.39 PUD.

I order shrink wrap for my distributor that costs $80 and it is 5000ft by 30" and also use the tiny food service shrink that Sam's sells. I encourage customers to bring in their baskets so I don't have to shrink it. Shirts with collars are hung, pants hung, all else is folded.

I have a website which draws a lot of customers, accept MC/Visa, have awesome people working for me, place door hangers, and have a delivery van that is wrapped.

Last month we did over 10,000 pounds.

The only thing I'd change is have more space to store and have a drive through window.

kees
08-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Wow, none of the laundromats that I've visited in New York charge more than $1.09 per lb. What could be the cause of this discrepancy?

Suzy

kees
08-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Do any of you charge additional fees for Oxyclean, bleach, fabric softener, sorting of colors from whites, etc?

Suzy
:cool:

BobbiOh
08-19-2010, 11:34 AM
The mats around us range from $1.00 to $1.25. One of the laundries offers "Dry and Fold" service at $.70/lb.

surfflite
08-19-2010, 11:37 AM
.95 next day, $1.05 same day and .85 for large commercial orders

kees
08-19-2010, 11:40 AM
The mats around us range from $1.00 to $1.25. One of the laundries offers "Dry and Fold" service at $.70/lb.

I'm confused. Aren't all of the wash and fold accounts "dry and fold"?

Suzy

YoungJedi
08-19-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm confused. Aren't all of the wash and fold accounts "dry and fold"?

Dry and Fold allows customers to come in and put everything in the washers. Pay for the washers and have the mat atten. take the clothes from the washer and put them in the dryer. Once dry, the atten. folds everything.

The customer is charged for the weight of the folded clothing and the cost to dry.

It saves the customer time and money.

Jason

BobbiOh
08-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Dry and Fold allows customers to come in and put everything in the washers. Pay for the washers and have the mat atten. take the clothes from the washer and put them in the dryer. Once dry, the atten. folds everything.

The customer is charged for the weight of the folded clothing and the cost to dry.

JasonThey can also bring wet clothing from home and have the attendant dry and fold.

MrMachine
08-19-2010, 03:12 PM

Jason

I agree that it saves the customer time. I'm not so sure about the customer saving money though.

Adamski
08-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Suzy,

"Dry and Fold" means the customer has washed the clothes herself (usually at the laundromat) and just requires the attendant to dry and fold the clothes.

moresales
08-20-2010, 02:46 AM
I don't charge by pound. I charge a flat rate per account with each of my 50 plus customers averaging about $32 per week.
For presentation, I have nice large drawstring laundry bags that are tagged with their linen. I stock their linen back on their shelf or closet and pick up the soiled bag of mops or linen and wash the mops or linen (and the bags) all over again til the next week.

CanCanCase
08-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Wow, none of the laundromats that I've visited in New York charge more than $1.09 per lb. What could be the cause of this discrepancy?

Suzy I'm in such a rural area, that I can't pencil out a wash at less than $1.25 per pound. I'm already the high price leader in town, so if someone else wants to start a drop-off service (currently there are none) at a lower rate, I'm establishing the upper end of the market now...

Besides, WDF is labor-intensive... Minimum wage here is approaching $9 per hour, and if my workers comp, etc is factored in, I have to pay $10.25 per hour minimum, hence the higher rates to the customer.

Do any of you charge additional fees for Oxyclean, bleach, fabric softener, sorting of colors from whites, etc?

Suzy
I've always used bleach on whites and softener on all else except towels personally, so that's included (for now) in my WDF. I do have a "detergent up charge" on the register for $1... I guess if the customer didn't like Western Family house brand (becoming Kirkland today...) I could charge the $1, walk over to the Vision Vender, and buy some Tide to make them feel better about it. Actually, most of my customers bring their detergent with their drop-off loads, and I don't discount for providing your own, but mine is free if you don't already have it. The $1 upgrade could then be used for Oxyclean, pre-treaters, etc...

- Case

Ps: sorry if I'm rambling. It's early and I have GOT to learn to quit posting before I find Starbucks!

rogergood
08-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Just so you guys know, my area of NYC (brooklyn) has a lot of owner/operator stores charging $.55 per pound. I charge $.89 and am the cost leader. These competitors are willing to work for very low wages but I still don't understand why they would do 10 lbs of wash for their minimum price of $7.50...
NYC has raised water 15% +/- for each of the past 3 years. Forget about rent/repairs/etc.

YoungJedi
08-20-2010, 07:20 PM
I agree that it saves the customer time. I'm not so sure about the customer saving money though.

Paul, you're right...but as the saying goes, "time is money." :)

Self_Suds_WV
10-29-2010, 07:11 PM
As for dry and fold we charge a flat price of $6 per washer (regardless of size) to dry and fold - $2 extra for blankets and heavy items.

If you want the low-down on our full-service WDF and commercial accounts, that is detailed in this post:

http://www.planetlaundry.com//forum/showpost.php?p=50193&postcount=20

Howard
10-30-2010, 10:20 AM
We use clear plastic bags. Years ago I talked to my bag distributor (he sells shrink wrap supplies and equipment too) and he talked me out of shrink wrap. He told me that it tends to wrinkle the clothing and I was better off with bags that are not so tight on the clothing.

Adamski
10-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Howard,

We also use plastic bags for DOL. I buy the 45 gallon bags from Sam's Club (220 bags per case). We've found that shrink wrap can cause problems like odors and wrinkles at times. No such problems when using the bags though.

Super Clean
10-30-2010, 12:13 PM
We shrink wrap all our linens but we bag all our clothes and comforters.

MrMachine
10-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Just so you guys know, my area of NYC (brooklyn) has a lot of owner/operator stores charging $.55 per pound. I charge $.89 and am the cost leader. These competitors are willing to work for very low wages but I still don't understand why they would do 10 lbs of wash for their minimum price of $7.50...
NYC has raised water 15% +/- for each of the past 3 years. Forget about rent/repairs/etc.

Roger,

I'm in two sections of Queens and it's the same for me. It's brutally competitive. I charge $1.09/lb but most of my competitors charge .75 cents/lb, with some charging .50 cents and .60 cents.

Also, I agree the water rates are going nuts....So hard to make ends meet here in NYC, with the highest Taxes in the Nation, yet new mats are STILL being built by newbies who just don't understand how do their due diligence.
Amazing that people will spend as much as a million bucks and not know what the hell they are doing.

And if you charge $2.00 for a double loader, the customers think you are robbing them....Terrible here these days.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycwaterboard/html/rate_schedule/index.shtml

jpb
12-04-2010, 01:58 AM
I tried shrink wrap but no one liked it. I use clear plastic bags. I do 18,000 pounds a month and everyone prefers the plastic bags. Of course we hang a lot of items also.
Shrink wrap may be good for some commercial accounts, like towels, but I wouldn't know - I am trying to get my first commercial account.

Howard
12-04-2010, 12:18 PM
I tried shrink wrap but no one liked it. I use clear plastic bags. I do 18,000 pounds a month and everyone prefers the plastic bags. Of course we hang a lot of items also.
Shrink wrap may be good for some commercial accounts, like towels, but I wouldn't know - I am trying to get my first commercial account.

You do 18,000 pounds of WDF a month? WOW!

How do you get such volume?

kees
12-04-2010, 12:34 PM
You do 18,000 pounds of WDF a month? WOW!

How do you get such volume?

I was just thinking the same thing!

Suzy