PDA

View Full Version : Hot vs. Warm vs. Cold Water Usage

Christine
11-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Does anyone know if there is a general industry % of water usage based on water temperature? Thanks!

CanCanCase
11-17-2010, 08:43 PM
What would this bit of information do for us? Why not just figure how much it costs to produce a gallon of hot water, know the water consumption of a given type of machine, and set vend pricing accordingly based on an all-hot wash? Just like in a bar with a premium well... plan based on the highest cost, then you come out a bit ahead if they order anything else.

If it's my household laundry, I wash about 20% (just whites) in hot, and everything else in cold... but that's just me, and I'd hate to generalize for the industry.

-Case

Jefflange
11-17-2010, 11:36 PM
When I walk around my store at closing 70% of the machines are set on hot. Not sure if that helps you.

Laundry_Mike
11-18-2010, 11:01 AM
If I'm in the store I find that most equipment is set on hot or warm. If a machine is idle I always flip it to the COLD setting, hoping to capitalize on the power of suggestion.

Howard
11-18-2010, 11:04 AM
If I'm in the store I find that most equipment is set on hot or warm. If a machine is idle I always flip it to the COLD setting, hoping to capitalize on the power of suggestion.

+1, I do the exact same thing.

CanCanCase
11-18-2010, 11:13 AM
My machines all default to warm when a cycle ends. If the customer does nothing but swipe card and push start, they get the default warm. I guess I ought to change the default to cold and claim we're doing even more to be green!

- Case

laundryboy2
11-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Reduce your hot water consumption by charging extra for Hot!

Works great, especially on the top loaders. I give customers a 'discount' for using cold!!

Duane
11-18-2010, 03:06 PM
I charge for hot on all wash cycles, if they select warm or cold it is .005 more cents in my pocket.

Adamski
11-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Does anyone know if there is a general industry % of water usage based on water temperature? Thanks!

Christine,

A good guess would be that 20 - 25 percent of selected cycles are HOT water cycles. Even then, these cycles always rinse with COLD water these days. That means about 7% of the HOT cycle's total water consumption would be HOT and the rest would be COLD. All of my front loaders default to a COLD-NORMAL cycle if the customer forgets to select a cycle. Customers probably select a WARM cycle most often.

Laundromats today probably use about 25% as much HOT water as they did back in the old days when we had no perma press clothes, more cottons and WARM water rinses. We are getting closer to the day when we won't be installing a hot water heater in the laundromat at all.

Chumley
11-19-2010, 09:58 AM
I guess I ought to change the default to cold

- Case

I did exactly that when I took over my new store. It seemed to just make sense in a passive kind of way. ;)

kees
11-19-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm going to partially hijack this thread. At what temperature do you clean your laundry at home? I always use hot water.

Suzy
:cool:

CanCanCase
11-19-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm going to partially hijack this thread. At what temperature do you clean your laundry at home? I always use hot water.

Suzy

Whites always get hot, everything else gets cold at my house. Between kids growing fast and wife buying semi-delicate clothing, I can't afford to shrink or fade anything if I don't need to!

I use a 19 minute "quickwash" for most, "brightest whites" for whites, and "sanitize" for any potty training accidents.

- Case

Super Clean
11-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Whites for hot, cold for most everything else other then the Quickwash's on the Electrolux machines are set with warm washes.

STOUT
11-22-2010, 01:40 AM

Like the others I constantly go through my laundry and reset all the washers to cold.

That being said I also, at times every month,track the temperature usage.
Last month my totals for hot was used 21.4% warm 65.9% and cold 12.8%
For my front loaders combined hot 36.4% warm 48.4% cold 15.2%
For my top loaders Hot 6.3% warm 83.3% cold 10.4%
I have not added up the average yearly yet but will do so later.
I do compare each month and compare the different seasons from time to time.

I have also kept track of incoming water temps for a year or more. My average incommoding water temp is 60.
I plan to use this information, among other things, for when I go to purchase a new water heater for proper sizing.

You should try tracking. I think you will be surprised.

Best wishes.

Charlie
01-17-2011, 09:06 AM
The "general" industry percentage will change based on whether or not you charge for hot water. I use machines which permit different pricing, which has multiple advantages. First, in response to the comments that they always charge for hot and giving only cold is a pocket bonus I would ask - is your hot the same as your competition? My cold is generally slightly more than or equal to the competition's any temp. Hot gives me at least an extra quarter. In additon, because I charge for hot, my customers use less hot water and I don't have as large a gas bill as a result.

Unless you have a card system, you really can't track hot water percentages. In my card store, I get the following breakdown for the past month.

Cold 40-50%
Warm 20-30%
Hot 25-35%

The smaller machines tend to use less hot, the larger more hot. About 10% are some other cycle such as heavy, quick, etc.

Adamski
01-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Unless you have a card system, you really can't track hot water percentages. In my card store, I get the following breakdown for the past month.

Cold 40-50%
Warm 20-30%
Hot 25-35%

The smaller machines tend to use less hot, the larger more hot. About 10% are some other cycle such as heavy, quick, etc.

Charlie,

Actually, you don't need a card system to track per cycle usage. My Huebsch A micro washers audits can tell me exactly how many times each cycle was run. The A micro also allows per cycle pricing (a different price for each cycle) or global pricing (1 price for all 6 cycles). The A micro also allows special event pricing (discounting during certain hours of certain days). The A micro also allows one to individually construct, delete and edit each segment in each of the 6 cycles.

Self_Suds_WV
01-17-2011, 09:55 AM

Suzy

Suzy, I am a prodct of my products - I don't even have a washer/dryer at home. I use my equipment, warm water, and pay retail.

John