I know I cannot be the first to think of this so I am really trying to solicit proven ideas.
I am looking at resurrecting a mat that died two years ago---Problem is that the space is 1000+- sq ft to many to support the demographics IMHO. It is 3500 sq ft and should be 2500 roughly. So my dilemma is what to do with the extra 1000 which is right in the center as you walk in. I have a good price per sq ft if it was fully utilized so I am looking either to sublease the space or to set up a separate business myself.
Either way I need something that would complement a mat. Any ideas?
The usual suspects arcade, computer kiosk they buy time in 5$ increments , both of those should not cost you only some build needed. Sell water 5gallon jugs or ice vender. . Cd movie rental kiosk, open a medical mary jane vender if your state allows. Find an alteration lady and provide drop off dry cleaning , go with a check cashing operation do payroll checks only. Let us know, what you do.
1. Make sure you have more than enough space in your store - especially for folding tables. I think 90% of the mats could use more. I am trying to squeeze in another 1 or 2.
2. I'd love to have more room in my mat to keep people comfortable and entertained. I'd think of a (spearate) kids area, and a lounge with a nice TV. Likely a few vending machines. Maybe arcade games. I tried an internet kiosk with poor results.
3. Think the next one is enough room for wash and fold, dry cleaning drop off and alterations. This is likely the most complementary business (especially if you are attended). There are enough debates on the site about whether or not dry cleaning is worthwhile (and I won't weigh into this). That said, it is certainly the most synergistic.
4. I personally like the idea of a dog wash as well - but the location that you are talking about (middle of the mat) doesn't lend well for it. you would need to physically segregate it from the rest of the mat.
5. Other than that, you could put whatever business you want in there - won't necessarily be complementary. On the site, U-Haul has been mentioned. Most locations lend themselves to check cashing, payday loans, cash for gold places.